ABOUT THE CLIENT
TechTrek develops and delivers exciting, skills-focused tech courses. Through innovative approaches, TechTrek provides context-based learning classes to young learners, preparing them to positively engage with tomorrow’s technologies. Their mission: improving the opportunities of the next generation.
The TechTrek online learning platform is an innovative and exciting STEAM coding learning experience. Through a wide variety of weekly missions and challenges, learners must apply and use their tech skills to help the TechTrek team solve STEAM related challenges across the world. Each real-life mission combines standards-based learning goals, relatable real-life context and fun and engaging educational challenges.
THE CHALLENGE & SOLUTION
Because it was the first time for TechTrek to extend their service online, QPSoftware started this project by conducting a user research and competitor audit. The main purpose of this research was the investigation of an e-learning centered model for Gamification.
Why conducting user research and competitor audit?
- It helps identifying the best practices within a specific industry/sector.
- It ensures the right integration of key elements during the development phase.
1. High level inventory heatmap / Visual Analysis
QPSoftware started by creating a high level inventory and visual analysis heatmap of the main content (information) and functionalities (features) for most of the competitors’ homepage / landing page in order to discover common conventions but also to identify design trends and understand rival site’s structures.
2. Competitive Analysis (UX)
In order to evaluate the usability, utility and desirability, QPSoftware conducted a heuristic evaluation on rival sites’ user interface and user experience design.
Indeed, as a best practice, QPSoftware used a set of 27 customized heuristics combined with other relevant design guidelines and market research to collect both numerous qualitative and quantitative data points.
3. Gamification Design
Gamification elements, such as game mechanics and dynamics, are considered an essential component of E-Learning systems, which help to convey the information to kids by presenting e-learning content in integration with game elements in an engaging and motivating way.
Based on the research conducted by QPSoftware, this is a list of the gamification elements and components that enhances an E-Learning systems
- Communication & Feedback: Which aims to allow students and educators to communicate with each other, (e.g., discussion forums, messaging systems and chats). Gamification supports this feature by applying one of the most important and effective Game Dynamics which is Community Collaboration and user feedback.
- Navigational Tools: Which organize a site into units such as modules and lessons and grant access to the various features of the system. In Gamification this could be, organizing the site into levels and quests in order to boost user engagement, and making the e-learning system more game-like.
- Tutorials & familiarization: Since lack of familiarity with navigation controls may negatively influence student performance and student motivation. The use of tutorials can support this familiarization process.
- Course Management: To keep track of students and their records and to manage security and access rights for various user groups. A Gamified E-Learning platform could keep track of students (players) by using progress bars, and leaderboards, showing the progress of the users in their journey to course completion.
- Assessment & Measurement models: Is usually provided in the form of online quizzes with immediate feedback, including scores and comments. Assessments in gamification could have tasks in each level, including points as an alternative of scores, and for the comments, and community collaboration and sharing via social network sites can be a very good alternative.
- Re-playing: To repeat several attempts and revisions. As in the case of feedback, measurement models need to handle the number of attempts and revisions.
- Authoring Tools: To allow instructors to upload and organize material, to create discussions and quizzes, and generally to control the feature offered by the system.
QPSoftware has knowledge and expertise in designing and developing online tools and environments using eLearning standards (SCORM and xAPI) as well as video management platforms and ARTICULATE software as appropriate.
Specifically, QPSoftware has demonstrated:
- Knowledge and expertise in designing and developing eLearning training including instructional design, storyboarding, LMS
- Integration and testing.
- Creating accessible eLearning modules including video player, captioning and audio description.
- Experience in multimedia design and development including audio, video, graphics and text.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively involving others in the design, management and development of eLearning
- Skills to manage the configuration and loading of courses into LMS
- Knowledge in the development of E-Learning modules using best practices in online learning.
- Knowledge of current trends in eLearning, training, and web-based technologies.
- A team with proven expertise and SCRUM certification, ensuring high performance project management and results.