Continuing from the previous article about Magento and the tips for adapting your ecommerce website to the Chinese market, this topic will focus on how to attract Chinese male buyers through ecommerce.
You may think or feel that shopping is only a hobby for women and that online shopping (e-commerce) is no different. Well, let’s see if this is true and if its a good idea to forget about the Chinese male market segment.
How Large Is The Chinese Male E-buyers Segment?
As mentioned above, you may think or feel that e-commerce is not for male buyers but that is not true. According to the latest data, Chinese male ebuyers represent 47.4% of the market. They are not far behind the women.
Moreover, the percentage of male Chinese buyers in cross-border e-commerce is even higher. They actually represent 64.8% of cross-border online shopping.
As you can see, your thoughts on male buyers in China might not have matched with the data. Therefore it wouldn't be very smart to neglect/forget about this market segment. It’s also important to remember that the percentage of males in China is a higher than females, at almost 52%.
What Are Their Characteristics?
We have six main characteristics that define the male e-commerce buyers in China:
- They are rational: they are focused on what they need/have to buy.
- They want an effortless and fast experience: they get straight to the point.
- They are loyal to brands: once they like and trust a brand, male Chinese ebuyers will be very loyal to it.
- They spend more money: they do not pay as much attention to sales or promotions and are less sensitive to low prices.
- When they do their shopping: they don't do their shopping during working hours. It will usually be on their way home or at home.
- They buy through their mobile devices: it is a big trend in China and they follow it.
What Chinese male like to buy Online?
As we may guess, women are more clothes-oriented but this is not the case for men. Actually, Chinese male ebuyers are really into electronics and digital products. They usually buy products such as:
- Mobile Phones
- Video games & consoles
- Home appliance
What do they Value About E-commerce?
Male Chinese buyers value three characteristics of ecommerce. These are:
- Delivery speed: they like to have a fast delivery (usually around 3 or 4 days).
- Convenience: their user experience has to be convenient, in other words easy, simple and fast.
- Credibility: they will buy only on trustworthy websites.
What Are The Best Tips To Attract Chinese Male E-buyers?
If you can follow what has been said in this article you will already have made some big steps towards attracting Chinese male ebuyers, but you should also keep these other points in mind:
- Keeping the user experience fast and easy means that you should use WeChat or QQ to sign-in and a “one click-payment”.
- Make a visible promotion message. It needs to be clear and easy to find.
- You need to provide a detailed description of your products and if possible put a feature to enable a comparison with similar products and reviews.
- Provide high-quality images of your products.
- You need to build trust with your male customers, you can do this by being completely transparent with them.
What Is Your Next Step?
As you can see, there are a few tricks you can use if you want to attract Chinese male ebuyers. This population segment is very important in China and it can bring you a huge profit. If you need more information about this or even some help we would be glad to adapt your e-commerce website to reach whatever target you want. If you have any questions or interest in this do not hesitate to contact us.