Do you remember these days when it was impossible to change the entity which registered your WeChat Official Account? I am glad to tell you that from last week, Tencent finally decided to modify it! Indeed, from now on the companies are allowed to switch the ownership of their WeChat Official Account.
What was the previous situation of the WeChat Official Account?
The previous situation of the WeChat Official Account, like said before, was quite bothersome. The companies that had a WeChat Official Account could not change the entity which registered it. That means that it was impossible to sell their account or even change the legal entity.
What was the consequences of this previous situation?
There were three big consequences of this previous situation:
- If the company wanted to change or sell the actual entity, it had to start everything again from scratch. That means to create a new WeChat Official Account and the acquisition of the followers.
- The companies were facing important business risks when a third party was registering their WeChat Official Account because they were dependent of them.
- It was possible that some companies were facing some divergence between their WeChat Official Account's entity and their real business entity.
What is the new situation of the WeChat Official Account?
From now on, Tencent has given the possibility to transfer the WeChat Official Account from one company to another. That includes:
- WeChat followers
- Articles drafts
Even if they gave the possibility to do so, there are still some requirements that the companies have to respect. Moreover, the Personal and International Official Account (registered through foreign business license) cannot be transferred.
What are these requirements?
Tencent has established three requirements to be able to do the transfer of the WeChat Official Account to another company:
- The new WeChat Official Account must be a verified account.
- The new WeChat Official Account must have less than 1,000 followers.
- The original WeChat Official Account must be registered with a Chinese business license (Service or Subscription account).
What will be the cost of this transfer and the time?
It will cost you 300 CNY to do this transfer and it will take between 7 and 10 business days to be done.
What are the different steps to make happen this transfer?
Let’s see the different steps to transfer a WeChat Official Account:
- Log in your WeChat Official Account backend, go on 公众号设置 on the left side menu. Next to Business Entity (主体信息), click on Account Transfer (账号迁移).
- Click on the green button Transfer (迁移). To approve this step, the administrator of the original Official Account has to scan a QR code.
- Once it is done, you will have to download and fill out the form called “WeChat Official Account transfer”, sign it and apply the company seal of both companies.
- You will have to go to a local Notary Public Office (公正机关) to valid the account transfer form in the previous step. It should take 1-2 business days.
- Write the cell phone number of the original Official Account, you will receive a notification. Then in the next cell, write the cell phone number of the new administrator to receive another verification number.
- Give a name to the new account. You can choose a new name or keep the old account’s name.
- Enter the Fapiao (receipt) information.
- Make the payment of 300 CNY through WeChat payment.
Once all these steps are done, Tencent will take between one and three business days to validate this transfer. When the transfer is done, the original WeChat followers will be transferred automatically to the new one, they will receive a notification about it and the original WeChat Official Account will be deleted.
What is your next step?
This change will have an important impact on the future possibilities of business because like said before, there is less risks for foreign business that wants to go to the Chinese market and there will be no more problem about the ownership of the WeChat Official Account. If you are interested about it and need help about it, do not hesitate to contact us.